An effective intake procedure creates the foundation for a good working relationship with your client. When there is a good working relationship and good communication between the lawyer and client the risk of an errors and omissions claim is significantly reduced.
An effective intake procedure includes:
- a good conflicts checking system
- an in-depth interview at the intake stage
- an effective client screening process
- an analysis of your practice workload, your resources, and personal commitments
- an analysis of your competencies in the practice area
- appropriate retainer agreements, engagement letters and declination letters