Join LIANS and the Society on Thursday, November 24, 2022, from 9:00 AM-4:00 PM for the 14th annual Solo and Small Firm Conference. This conference includes sessions that may be eligible to count towards your annual CPD requirements. Lawyers and staff are welcome to attend this free virtual conference held via Zoom.
Please register individually for either/both the morning and afternoon sessions. After registering, you’ll receive a confirmation email for each session that you choose to register for (morning and/or afternoon). Additional details on how to use Zoom will be sent prior to the event.
If you cannot join us live, most sessions will be recorded and uploaded to the Society’s webinars, and may still be eligible as CPD hours.
Please let us know if you have any accessibility accommodation requests to facilitate your participation by contacting Cynthia Nield at [email protected]
Morning (9:00am-12:00pm) Register for the Morning Conference Sessions
- Welcome and Housekeeping Items 9:00am-9:05am
- Greetings from Melanie Petrunia, NSBS President 9:05am-9:10am
- Nova Scotia Family Law Practice: Challenges & Solutions with Sinead Russell, Stacey Merrigan, and Kate Seaman 9:10am-9:50am
- LRA 20 Years On: Practicing Property Law in a Mostly LRA Environment, Pitfalls and Achievements with Ian MacLean KC 9:50am-10:20am
- Achieving Workplace Gender Equity and Inclusion and Working Towards Eliminating Sexual Harassment with Michelle Kelly KC, Co-Chair of the NSBS Gender Equity Committee 10:20am-10:40am
- Morning break 10:40am-10:50am
- Current Issues in Professional Responsibility with Elaine Cumming, NSBS Director of Professional Responsibility 10:50am-11:20am
- What Belongs in Your Trust Account and What Doesn’t with NSBS’ Kate Shewan and Jocelyn Glynn MacNeill 11:20am-11:50am
Afternoon (1:00pm-4:00pm) Register for the Afternoon Conference Sessions
- Reopening the session and introductions
- Remarks from NSBS Chief Executive Officer, Cheryl Hodder KC 1:00pm-1:10pm
- Technology Competence in Practice with Paul Saunders, Chief Innovation Officer and Partner with Stewart McKelvey 1:10pm-1:35pm
- Emerging Legal Tech in the Near Future with Anna Manley, Principal Lawyer with Manley Law Inc. 1:35pm-2:00pm
- LIANS’ Update on the Program, with Claims and Wellness Trends with Lawrence Rubin, LIANS’ Director of Insurance 2:00pm-2:45pm
- Afternoon break 2:45pm-2:55pm
- Eve of Destruction: The New Approach to File Retention & Destruction with Rob McCleave, NSBS and Bob Carter KC 2:55pm-3:25pm
- Updates to the Powers of Attorney Act with Tanya Butler and Madeleine Coats 3:25pm-3:55pm
Questions or assistance? Contact Cynthia Nield at [email protected]