Join LIANS and the Society on Wednesday, November 15th, 2023, from 9:00 AM-4:00 PM for the 15th annual Solo and Small Firm Conference. This event includes sessions that may be eligible to count towards your annual CPD requirements. Lawyers and staff are welcome to attend this free virtual conference held via Zoom.
Please register individually below for either/both the morning and afternoon sessions. After registering, you’ll receive a confirmation email for each session that you choose to register for (morning and/or afternoon). Additional details on how to use Zoom will be sent prior to the event.
If you cannot join us live, sessions will be recorded and uploaded to lians.ca, and viewing them may still be eligible as CPD hours.
Please let us know if you have any accessibility accommodation requests to facilitate your participation by contacting Cynthia Nield at [email protected]
Morning (9:00am-12:20pm) Register for the Morning Conference Sessions
- “Mindful Business Charter” with Richard Martin, Director of Mental Health & Wellbeing at Byrne Dean 9:00am-10:00am
- “Issues in Property Law” with Ian MacLean KC 10:00am-10:45am
- “Rule 6.3 of the Code of Conduct: Understanding Your Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Obligations” with Marla Brown, Director of NSBS Equity & Access and Elaine Cumming, Director of NSBS Professional Responsibility 10:45am-11:05am
- “Building a Law Office Manual” with Jonathan Saumier, NSBS Legal Services Support Counsel 11:15am-11:30am
- “Current Considerations in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion” with Marla Brown & Vanessa Fells of NSBS Equity & Access 11:30am-11:50am
- “LIANS’ Update on the Program” with Lawrence Rubin, LIANS’ Director of Insurance 11:50am-12:20pm
Afternoon (1:00pm-4:00pm) Register for the Afternoon Conference Sessions
- “Recent Developments and Emerging Trends in Corporate Governance and Administration” with Rob Arkin, Partner at Cox & Palmer 1:00pm-1:45pm
- “New Criminal Law Cultural Competence Standard” with Brandon Rolle, Senior Legal Counsel with the African Nova Scotia Justice Institute 1:45pm-2:05pm
- “Latest FLSC Guidance on Client ID and Verification” with Viral Shah, NSBS Trust Assurance Auditor 2:05pm-2:35pm
- “Payments Canada Cheque Clearing Process” with Lawrence Rubin, LIANS’ Director of Insurance; and “Trust Accounts: Do They Have a Future in Transaction Work?” with Kate Shewan, Director of NSBS Finance & Administration and Rob McCleave, NSBS Legal Services Support Counsel 2:45pm-3:20pm
- “Anticipating Bill C-27 Privacy Law Changes & the AIDA” with Matt Saunders, Lawyer in Data Privacy and Cybersecurity with Deloitte Legal Canada LLP 3:20pm-3:45pm
Questions or assistance? Contact Cynthia Nield at [email protected]
We encourage firms to present it in their boardrooms, if available, so it can be watched, and the content discussed, as a group. We also encourage firms with sufficient boardroom space to invite other members in their area to watch the conference together.